21 June 2011

DIY NO-SEW Bikini!

It’s that time of year again! Time to get all up in the sun and sand (don’t forget your SPF!).

Bikinis are expensive and sometimes it’s tough to find the right sizes, so this year, Faith and I made our own. It was super easy, in fact– this style is a NO SEW! That’s right!

All we did was take a string bikini bottom and opened it up onto our elasticized fabric. Using the bikini bottom as a pattern, we cut out around the shape, leaving extra fabric on the hips for ties. Next, for the bando top, we literally cut a 6″ wide strip of fabric, and cut 3 fringes on either end to tie together in front.

The whole thing took about ten minutes, and cost about $5. No stress and no fuss. Race you to the pool!

20 Responses to DIY NO-SEW Bikini!
  1. Van says:

I’ve been anxious to make my own custom bikini for a while now, and this fits the bill. I’m going to make and rock this one, thank you for sharing! :)

2. I went shopping for a bathing suit this weekend and it was a bust! I may have to try this!

3. Jeanette says:

sweet! easy peasy…as all bikini shopping/wearing should be!

4. Kara Koeven says:

Awesome! And sexy too!!

5. Thanks for all the comment love today, folks. You should try this– it’s really simple– and bustier ladies (like me!) can just add shoulder straps!!

6. Mallory says:

That’s pretty brilliant! I love that fabric too, so funky and fun!

7. J’amazing. Also, I’m utterly smitten with the pattern! V. hot!

8. Woo hoo! Thanks Mallory, Jen and Dianna– we love the pattern too! we got the fabric at Micheal Levine in DTLA- and yes– my sis has a killer HIT bod! he he he!!

9. andrea says:

i absolutely love this! i was just looking at bikinis for the beach and was thrown off at how expensive they’ve gotten. this D.I.Y. project is perfect.

10. L says:

Love the creative D.I.Y. this is perfect.

11. Anonymous says:

I found this today and went ahead and made one! I am a busty girl and strap additions were way easy! Love it and thank you for sharing!

12. Anna says:

Was absolutely intrigued about you made it no sew. Magic words for people who don’t know how to operate the sewing machine but love to make things.

13. Emilia says:

where can i get the elasticized fabric in cool patterns like this??

14. Anonymous says:

I love this idea! But I would have to find a way to make some straps, I was not blessed with enough boobs to hold that top up lol

15. what type of fabric is this, and how did it not frey?

16. Delphine says:

Well, sorry for the “frenchy guy” comment. We, french people, can also have a developed sens of aesthetic and be civilized. I think it is a great idea and your blog is a big source of inspiration!