Inspiration:

My best friend, Sarit Melmed, is one helluva a designer. I consider her to be my mentor in many ways, as she’s the first graphic artist I’ve ever met and her work speaks to me at a visceral level. One of her latest projects is food packaging design for Plymouth Artisan Cheese by Jesse Werner. Each of JW’s colorful cheese blocks (roughly the size of a thick deck of cards) are individually hand dipped in wax.  I thought the packaging design was so stunning, I asked her if I could share it with you all here. We are so lucky today to get a peek into her process and inspirations that went into the design, and also get a feel for how the designer and client worked together to develop the vintage-inspired graphics.

THE PROCESS
JW came to SM with the task of creating a vintage inspired label that reflects the rich heritage of the Plymouth Cheese Factory and highlights the careful artisanal process that goes into making (and packaging!) every individual block of cheese… JW wanted to somehow incorporate the original historical stencil design of the Plymouth Cheese Factory.

THE INSPIRATION: Reinventing the Wheel
SM specializes in vintage ephemera appropriation and researched particularly inspiring vintage labels to show JW for direction. JW was inspired by the vintage Woods Extract label (shown above) that SM showed him  – he was drawn to the circular design of the graphic as it echoes the shape of the cheese wheels that are made in his factory. SM thought to appropriate the original Plymouth stencil’s chevron motif into this circle for the ‘new’ label design. SM then worked her graphic magic with the typography and additionally reconfigured the border and flourishes from the Flour label …..

Go Here For additional info:

Thanks for giving us a peek, Sarit– now when do I get to taste this cheese!?!

15 Responses to Vintage-Inspired food packaging by Sarit Melmed- Say Cheese!
  1. These are awesome Sarit! You really made this cheese desirable in every way. How beautiful would these blocks look at a dinner party or if one received them as a gift? Elegant and Yummy!

2. sarit says:

Thanks so much, chuppaluna! You totally ROCK! …. and word Soledad! …YUM!!!!

3. Justin Foran says:

Sarit! Love these labels – pure creative genius! Vintage elegance at its best.

4. Anonymous says:

Make me a poster please

RDM

5. hustleup says:

Vintage ephemera appropriation??? Wow!!! You girls are blowing my mind! Brava!!! Xo, shannon

6. Glad you all love the packaging as much as me!! Thanks for all the comment + love!!

7. Danielle says:

Amazing stuff sarit! Great work :)

8. Anonymous says:

fantastic designs – way to go Sarit

HDM

9. Melissa Stewart says:

I love your design in general! The cheese labels are perfect, love the vintage feel.

10. I have read so many posts about the blogger lovers except this article is really
    a pleasant paragraph, keep it up.

11. Great web site. Plenty of helpful info here. I’m sending it to several friends
    ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks on your sweat!

Visit mmy blog; smiley piercing

12. I honestly believe that this is a wonderful post you got
    here. Is it ok if I post your post on my twitter along
    with the link and the header of the article:”Vintage-Inspired food packaging by Sarit Melmed- Say Cheese! “??
    I entered this blog as I was searching cartilage
    jewelry and I think that I am very fortunate for doing this.

Kind regards,
    The Cartilage Earrings Group

my page: cartilage earring

13. […] had been in love with their packaging for a long time–it was designed by one of my dearest friends–Sarit Melmed– and […]