Pattern-obsessed as I am, I wanted a fun, patterned lamp shade for this pretty vintage, yellow, ceramic lamp base that I found at a thrift shop–but all of the cool shades with pretty patterns that I could find to purchase cost in the neighborhood of $120.  So, I bought this simple drum lamp shade from Target and two different colors of Duct Tape, teal and orange (did you know duck take comes in all kinds of pretty colors and patterns now?) and I spent my evening cutting out the duck tape in different shapes and creating a collage on the shade. Admittedly, the tape is kinda hard to cut with precision.  Lots of the pieces I cute here are imperfect and jagged (as you can see in the close-up shot).  But the overall effect I’m really happy with and am excited about the possibilities of more DIY’s with colored duck tape. In all, the entire lamp–base and shade cost me under $35, and for that price, I’ll take it–jaggedy edges and all.

Tips:
-Use really sharp scissors
-After finishing up the project, I wished I had had wax paper. I think that if you put the tape on wax paper first it will be much, much easier to cut out the shapes more precisely.

Update:
Thanks Kate  for sharing this link to Mer Mag’s tutorial on how to cut duct tape for craft projects–had I seen this sooner, the project would have been A LOT easier! :D

23 Responses to An easy, cheap, DIY lamp shade project
  1. kate o says:

Love the color and pattern! Sweet project!!

Mer Mag has a tutorial on how to cut duct tape for crafts. http://mermag.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-cut-duct-tape-for-craft-projects.html

2. Miss Rubio says:

This is awesome. Thanks for the inspiration….looking to redo a lamp, so this was perfect timing. Xo

3. lindley says:

Wow -this is inspiration for so many things! What a great lamp you’ve created

4. That is seriously too freaken awesome. Inspiring. I’m gonna fix up my drum shades now.

Boomba’s giraffe is so photogenic!! Also, I spy print in the back! :D

5. @Old Brand new: Yes! I finally found a home for your gorgeous print! (still need to get a frame, though…) blog post coming soon!! –and yeah…so obsessed with Boomba’s giraffe. I’m totes stealing it. :D

6. This is really awesome, Justina!! I can’t believe how cool it looks!! I feel tempted to try it myself!

7. Tonia B. says:

AWESOME!!!! You’re right lampshades can be costly which is why most of my lamps I’ve scored from the thrift store don’t have any. Thanks for the inspiration.

8. You really do rock my world. I can’t wait to meet your bubba. Px

9. mari says:

omgz, so so so beautiful. Your eye for design is REAL!

10. Camille says:

Still can’t get over how awesome and creative this idea is. Love it, J!

11. Ana Maria says:

you really hit it out of the park with this one! the texture of the tape adds a whole new element that paint or print could never achieve. your boomba is going to have so much rad stuff to look at!

12. Brandi says:

This is amazing! You are so freakin’ creative! High five on a awesome shade!!!

13. I love the pattern!! What a great project!

14. mer says:

what a great project! isn’t duct tape so fun and colorful. And yes, I finally tried using a utility knife after pulling my hair out using scissors. Now the options are endless!

xo
    Mer

15. [...] searching for a reasonably priced lampshade for her vintage ceramic  base, Justina of Justina Blakeney decided to take matters into her own hands. An evening spent cutting up colored duct tape left her [...]

16. I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog
    and was wondering what all is required to get set up?
    I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?

I’m not very internet smart so I’m not 100% certain. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

17. miki says:

I like the imperfections..it makes the kamshade OOAK, as well as, unique. Sometimes those perfect edges make DIY’s look too perfect and less personal ( taking the “y” out of diy).

Luv what u did!
    XO
    Miki

18. […] Duct Tape Lampshade from Justina Blakeley […]

19. Fue la última oportunidad que el ajedrez frecuentó las
    portadas de los periódicos y telediarios de todo el mundo.

20. […] 1. An easy, cheap, DIY lamp shade project source […]