Remember the window seat project I talked about a couple of months ago? Well, it took about 3X longer than the estimate from the carpenter, but it’s finally finished!

There was a comedy of errors getting this thing done, and there were a few weeks there that I didn’t think it was going to happen at all–but alas, I type this sitting at my new desk–and I must admit, it was worth the wait. The drawers below the window seat fit almost all of my folded clothes–it’s amazing how many muumuus you can get into a dresser, really. The hamper is spacious and well hidden, and the desk is the perfect size for my laptop and me. We will also use the seat for a changing table once Boomba arrives and so we really did get a bang for our buck.

After agonizing over what kind of fabric to choose for the cushions, and after a whopping three visits to the fabric store, I am happy I settled on a solid turquoise herringbone fabric–also because I knew I was going to want to deck out the seat in lots of fun, patterned throw pillows, and with patterned cushions too I think it may have been overkill. Plus the fabric I *really* wanted was $80 a yard. Yikes. This fabric was a more comfortable $12 :D

The only thing left to do on it is replace the little leather tabs with real drawer pulls. I probably going to use an Anthro gift card I got a while back (thanks Nina!)…which knobs do you think would look best out of these? Or should I mix and match? I like the idea of having a little brassy bling to the drawer facets to accentuate the my thrifted brass desk lamp and table accessories…

Designing a custom piece from my home was really, really fun. And although I had to exercise A LOT of patience–it was well worth it–*way* more gratifying than a big box-store purchase and even more exhilirating than finding the perfect thrifted object at a flea market…now I’m eyeing our 10-year-old bed as my next potential custom design project…

29 Responses to My Custom-Made Window Seat! {After}
  1. Julia Timms says:

Justina, looks amazing!! Personally, the #3 knob is one of my absolute favorites that Anthro ever put out and I think it is funky and fun. I actually bought a bunch and am hoarding them until I find the right project. Beautiful work as always..

2. KB says:

I like options #3 and #7!
    I almost bought those banana leaf pillows from Uncovet yesterday! In fact, I purchased two of them, but I guess by the time I hit “submit order” they were already sold out? I got a refund notification email and I was slightly upset because I think those pillows are so lovely!

3. Andrea says:

Wow! What an amazingly multipurpose and cool use of space. Plus gorg styling as well. Your creativity is always so inspiring!

4. Carlene says:

I love #3, it’s organic quality will offset the square geometry of the drawers. Plus it’s just pretty, and it has the brass and turquoise too.

5. Kate says:

3 is pretty, but 1, 7, or 8 would set it off!

6. mamalooks says:

I think it’s prefect as it is! The leather handles give some roughness in all that awesome prettiness, and they are also (more) child proof. But what do I know, you are design wizard… love your work!

7. chibiwow says:

Omg its so lovely! I can feel comfort in every inch of it. Got my eye on your blog now.

8. Angeline says:

So great! The addition of the desk in the space is a really great idea – (love the little pencil cup) The leather tabs are another favorite detail…Enjoy your (awesome) hard work!

9. DawnB says:

I vote for 1 or 7…1 ties in the chair and 7 just looks great with the mix of turquoise and brass.

10. This looks so cosy and comfy, Justina! Well done! I would go with knob no. 4 – I like its simplicity and patina-like look.

11. lori marie says:

love it! i vote 1 or 7 for the knobs. leaning more towards 1 :)

12. Alice says:

Oh wow, how beautiful is this!! I dream of a window seat like this. And I couldn’t decide on any of those handles… they’re all lovely.

13. Two words: ‘Hello, Pinterest’ (This is straight where this ubver inspiration is heading!)

14. Shawna says:

Totally gorgeous! I don’t know how you are going to chose knobs there are so many beautiful ones. I love number seven.

15. Thank you Justina for linking me! :-) That makes me really happy!
    Have a great day.

xx
    Amanda

16. I love the idea of a mix. #s 1, 3 and 7 look like they might work well together. Otherwise I like #4 on its own.

Everything looks lovely!

17. autumnempire says:

I vote #3 or #7 also.

18. Shauna Nep says:

This is absolutely incredible! I want, I want!!! You should be so proud.

A little cheesy but I love this lyric…

“Now so much I know that things just don’t grow
    If you don’t bless them with your patience”
    -First Aid Kit

xx

19. EmilyKate says:

What a beautiful nook! I just want to crawl into your pictures with a snack and a book.
    Like the poster above I’m in favour of leaving the leather tabs. I’m thinking the little knobs might poke at legs, or catch on a throw… plus with the proportions and color of all the cushions their beautiful detail may get a bit lost. Definitely buy some but save them for use maybe on something that is more at eye level.

20. Anonymous says:

It turned out EXCELLENT!!! I want those cushions! Mix and match most def! I like 3,4,5,7.

21. Love it! You know you want to use my new hardware line on those drawers! Also am finally moving and that rug I keep mentioning is up for grabs.

22. Lauren says:

I am currently attempting a DIY window seat myself and your idea and execution is flawless. I bought #6 knobs for a dresser a while back and recommend against them. 3 of the 6 the glass handle broke off. I have a similar decorating style and never like to be too matchy so I would choose 1,8 or 2. Although I find knob # 3 very beautiful so if you are more inclined to match the color of the cushions go with that.

23. Damon says:

Saved as a favorite, I really like your website!

Feel free to visit my webpage – online marketing web (Damon)

24. […] year. Being open, honest and brave goes a long way in this community. As far as design projects go, I’m really proud of my window seat as it was my first attempt at designing a piece of furniture and I’m thrilled with the […]