justina-blakeney-cpwm13

So here’s the deal, Rachel and Jeremy (and their hot-dog, Frankie) bought their home a few years ago. They bought it totally furnished. Having the home furnished was a ‘plus’ at the time because they had spent all of their savings on the house and were way too house-poor to buy new furniture for their place. But now, several years later, they were way tired of the generic look of the home (major ‘minus’) and were ready to make their home a little more fun, funky and fitting of their personalities–but needed to do it on a pretty tight budget–enter moi.

world-market-overview

Jeremy loves the color teal, and Rachel is really into neons at the moment–so I was excited to incorporate some of these elements into their living room revamp that we were lucky enough to work on with World Market. The one ‘cool’ piece that the space had in the ‘before’ was the portrait done by one of Rachel’s uncles back in the 1960′s. We liked the idea of using the portrait as a jumping-off-place for color and feel.

Some issues they had with the way their place looked before were:

1. They felt like there wasn’t enough seating when they had guests

2. It bugged Rachel (and me too) the way one of the (ugly) couches covered part of the window

3. There was a lack of color and all of the furniture was a just kinda blehhhh.

before-after

I incorporated a ton of DIY elements–and believe it or not–I did the entire makeover in one day. That’s right. One day. I felt like I was on one of those HGTV design shows. It was kinda bananas (and really, really fun). I started with this sectional sofa. I picked the sectional because it would allow for the most seating for when Jeremy and Rachel entertain. It’s in a dark charcoal grey microsuede–so it’s practical for hairy-ass Frankie, too. But you know I love color, so I added a ton of pillows in different shades, shapes and patterns to get that eclectic vibe I love.

justina-blakeney-cpwm14
I also wanted the sofa to POP, so I spray-painted the legs on the sofa neon yellow–along with the papasan stools that I also sewed custom covers for (such a cheap and fun way to create extra seating for entertaining). The made-over papasan stools added the perfect pop of color and pattern without taking up too much visual space OR blocking the TV which is mounted on the wall opposite the couch.

neon justina-blakeney-cpwm10

Next it was time to figure out the art work. Original art is soooo expensive,  and I didn’t wanna go all poster art on these guys, nor did I want the art to bring us over budget…so I did something a little crazy…I painted floating shelves, and matching painted ‘frames’ on the walls. Then I mounted the shelves. This idea was kinda brills (if I do say so myself) because it’s SUCH an easy and quick DIY with SUCH strong results—and the second you tire of it or want to change the color of it, it is so simple to do.

Then in the center, I painted a large ‘frame’ and suspended a bright, vintage, embroidered textile.
painted-shapes-justina-blakeney

I also hung the pendant lamp I made a few weeks ago in the corner.

pendant-light

I then added some side tables, like this carved wood side table , that I love…

justina-blakeney-cpwm7

And this table that I made from a  wooden pedestal cake stand  that I hand-painted and placed on top of a ceramic stool.

justina-blakeney-cpwm11

Next I added the necessary textiles–the Avira flat-woven wool rugs and curtains. I used four curtain panels on this window to make the drape feel rich and abundant.. I painted the legs to the bench with a fun teal and put it in front of the window. The sizing worked out so that it fit perfectly and created that ‘built-in’ window seat effect I was hoping for. Sweet!

justina-blakeney-cpwm15

Now I needed to accessorize the space and so, me being me, I added lots of plants (yeeesh I’m so predictable!). This hanging planter was at one time, a pretty lantern. And this elephant bowl became a planter too because, well, anything that can hold soil become a planter in my book. :)

planters-world-market

I threw in some pretty accessories, botanicals and bling (gold tray)and the pretty hobnail glasses.

justina-blakeney-cpwm9
Rachel, Jeremy and Frankie were very happy with the outcome… Frankie even Instgrammed some shots of his new favorite spots (yes, Frankie the dog has his own Instargam account…)frankie

I know what your thinking…’I want to redo my living room!’ right?! And here’s the best part…You can!  Yep. You read that correctly. You can.

justina-blakeney-cpwm17

Win a $5K World Market shopping spree and design consultation–it’s easy.  Enter here.  There are also three first prizes that include a $1,000 gift card, eeeep! (and $1000 goes a LONG way at World Market).

What do you think of the makeover? Any ideas here that you’d incorporate into your own space??

Here are the are resources of all of the stuff I used in the makeover–most of which comes from the new collections–Maison des Artistes and Urban Dwellings:  Sectional Sofa, Taylor Bench with Bolsters, Avira Flat-Woven Wool Rug ,Cast Iron Jack ,Gold Tray, Victoria Stripe Throw Pillow, Teal Velvet Throw Pillow, Amber Art Nouveau Throw Pillow, Green and Grey Stripes Lumbar pillow , Conical Cloche, Trio of Vases, Metal Hand, Hobnail Glasses, Teal throw, Cake wooden pedestal stand, Carved wood side table, Elephant Bowl, Curtain

Design, photography and styling by J. Blakeney, assisted by Danielle Stearns. Thanks Danielle! This post was created in partnership with World Market. Thank you for your continued support of the brands that hook me up, so I can hook you all up with content that hopefully doesn’t make you keel over in boredom. Also, all thoughts, designs, experiences, words, and kickassness are my own.

32 Responses to West-side Living-Room Makeover (Big Reveal!)
  1. Hanne says:

I love this living room! It’s gorgeous. You did an amazing job!

2. Rachel says:

My dog is now an internet-super-star! Just like you :)

In all seriousness, we couldn’t be happier with it! You ARE a rockstar–especially the one-day part. (and that’s one handsome pooch).

Love, R

3. Keisha says:

I love this! I just love all the colors and the pillows and the plants…it’s just lush and gorgeous. I have 2 of the carved wooden tables and they are my favorite pieces. And I saw that gold tray a few weeks ago, but it isn’t available online…unfortunately, there’s no brick-and-mortar World Market store even remotely close by. You did a great job!

4. What a great makeover! It is totally fun and eclectic which I love for that modern twist!
    Cheers!
    Akshara
    Simply Akshara

5. Jennie says:

This is gorgeous – well done! I especially love the DIY touches like the painted couch legs and papasan stools. And I am ready to embrace your anything-can-be-a-planter philosophy — but I have one question. What about drainage? How to prevent root rot in planters without drainage holes? THANK YOU!!

• Justina Blakeney says:

Hey! Great question. I choose the plants carefully that I put in pots without drainage and use plants that don’t need to be watered super frequently–then I put rocks in the bottom of the receptacles to catch the water and I tip access water from the pot after waterings. Hope that makes sense! I’ve kept succulents alive for years in pots without drainage this way.

6. catie says:

i love this.
    so many people have the “before” with nice but boring furniture & not enough justina : )
    what you did on the wall with painting frames is soooo smart – my eye didn’t read paint at first, it just sort of read the “weight” of the 3 pieces {and loved the color}.
    i’m so glad you considered hairy-ass frankie when deciding on the sectional material.
    way to go with the one day transformation.
    are you listening HGTV?!?!
    justina needs her own show, on the double! ♥

7. You sprinkled some serious Jungalow magic dust and created a fantastic space – BRAVO!

8. Embelina says:

Painting the legs of the couch and bench… Genius! Great pop of color in an unassuming place makes for a spectacular addition. Wish I had thought of it! Very very cool.

9. Anathalia says:

This is great, Justina! I love it very much! The painted frames on the wall are just genius and I would definitely incorporate them into my space. And I am glad Jennie asked about the planters, because I always wondered about it but never asked the question.

10. Bubbie says:

Wow, from blah to bling. I would so do the four panel curtains instead of two…on. My current WM curtains….and the little vases in the dish…and planting the elephant, and painting the feet of a store bought sofa..and the pallete.

11. Angela T. says:

Hi! I do lov the frames painted on the wall and then hanging the shelves. Great look and fun!
    Thanks…

12. KINDA BRILLS, if I do say so myself!
    love it all…the touches of neon yellow and espesh love those papasan stools and how the new loveseat worked out to look like a window seat. love seeing what you did with everything from World Market too! such a great project! BRILLS.
    you most def gave me some great ideas & i’ll be entering that World Market contest for sure! Thanks, Justina! Xo, s

13. annton says:

holy canneloni, there is so much greatnees in this, I don’t even know where to start. an incredible job, that you’ve done!

14. Faith says:

You’ve done it again! You turned this space into a beautiful, artful, incredible livable livingroom. Totally inspiring. Gorgeous.

15. Sarit Melmed says:

WOW JUSTINA!! I love the neon accents!! LOVE how you painted the couch feet and the wall frames… CHE BRAVA!!!!!!!!!!!

XOXOXOXOXOOXOXOOXXOOXOXOXOXO

16. bette says:

What an amazing change…The before pictures are functional but no pizazz. The transformation is fantastic incorporating the excellence of world market furniture and accessories with the unique style of justina blakeney. I can see where Rachel and Jeremy woild be dellighted with their new environment. Kudos to the talented designer

17. Lee-Ann says:

I love all the painterly goodness- here’s to bringing on the Zing! (the shelf in the big yellow dot- YES!) :-)

18. Justina, this is so gorgeous–what a wonderful transformation. Any interest in flying to Sarasota to do my home?! ;)

Seriously, though, your blog is such an inspiration. Love it!

19. really beautiful decoration

20. Ludmilla says:

Love the yellow wall accent!

21. Katie says:

Everything in this makeover is so “brills”….love it all so much. Please tell me that if we win, YOU are the one doing the design consult. That would have me keel over for sure. My San Diego wanna-be jungalow totally needs some Justina love. xo

• Justina Blakeney says:

Awww you are so sweet! World Market hasn’t told me which of us is doing the consult–but yes, it *could* be me–how cray would that be?!

22. [...] Throw blanket from Purl Bee 22. Painted shelving from Justine Blakeney 23. Color blocked chargers from Confetti Pop 24. Painted rug from the Gold Jelly Bean 25. Woven [...]

23. [...] nice decoration idea. Via Justina Blakeney.Beautiful lace earrings … wanna-have! Via [...]

24. Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It in truth was once a amusement account it.

Glance complex to more delivered agreeable from you!
    By the way, how could we be in contact?

25. julie spear says:

I love everything about this room makeover! I zoomed in supertight to look a t every accessory, you got mad skills, yo! (Sorry breaking bad’s on tonit e, so everything is Yo today) I would incorporateveeversl of these looks into my see decor… so THANKS for shsring the awesome ideas!

26. [...] There are many ways in which you can introduce color into a room. For example, you could replace the old wall mirror with colorful artwork and you can get a rug with an interesting print. If you’re planning a major makeover then you can also replace some of the furniture.{found on justinablakeney}. [...]

27. […] first discovered stylist & designer Justina Blakeney last year when she did this creative living room makeover (those colourful shelves have since become a signature of hers). i have been enjoying following […]

28. Stacey says:

Ahhhhh DROOOL….. This style is exactly my style, so amazing. I love the yellow paint on the walls, brilliant idea adds such a pop of colour to the room. Love love love it

x