Have you ever thought of owning your own design business? Well, now is your chance to learn the ropes!
ABOUT ME: I’m an eco-designer, 4X published author and design consultant.
My crafty/fashion books sell at big bookshops like Barnes and Noble and concept stores like Urban Outfitters etc.
In addition to the books, I provide creative direction, graphics, styling, consulting etc. for numerous clients in various cool fields like craft, fashion, green living, event planning, lifestyle and interiors. On any given day, I may be meeting with a client to discuss fashion concepts, ordering freshly designed wedding invites, finding eco-friendly packaging alternatives for accessories brands, and sending images and press releases to magazines and blogs. The work is very multi-faceted, fast paced and creative.
My company (currently a one woman show) is growing. I need help! Some of my work is really fun hands-on stuff, like directing photo-shoots, designing and doing window displays at cool boutiques, coming up with new concepts, mood boards, shopping for clothing samples, creating visuals for creative and green businesses—But MOST of it is being on the computer—because I also create press kits for clients, logo, branding and identity work, websites, biz cards, post cards, signage, packaging. I currently work from my home in Los Feliz, but am looking to move into a real live fancy (or at least cute and sunny) office early in 2010.
ABOUT YOU: Candidates must be able to commit to a minimum of three months and work a minimum of 15 hours per week.
I’m seeking a hard worker who is highly organized, very computer savvy, punctual, and, (like me) laid back.
You have to be very computer savvy for this internship. You have to know Photoshop and Illustrator—and it’s a plus if you know Dreamweaver. You also have to be open to learning new programs. I guarantee you will learn a lot during this internship. I will be teaching the intern how to do website updates, work with In design for layout—and all kinds of stuff—so it’s important you be open to that, and not be afraid to really get your feet wet. Candidates also should be familiar with social networking sites and web 2.0 applications like facebook, blogger, flickr etc.
It’s important that you consider yourself to be someone with a “good eye” and love style and design. If you read blogs like Oh Joy! and The Sartorialist and Magazines like ID, Readymade and Nylon, love flea markets, scour etsy, swoon over Anthropologie, and Martin Margiela, than you likely have the right kind interests for this internship. Also, passion for green living and eco-design is important.
There will also be some administrative duties—light filing, emails, online research, dealing with printers and ordering, some light errands, and a lot of scanning as I build up my inspiration and image archives—
You need to be good at following directions (can you build Ikea furniture?— ‘cause if you can, you can follow directions.) You need to be savvy and a self-starter.
ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP:
This internship provides a VERY MODEST stipend ($50/ week), and there is room for growth for the right candidate.
I am looking for someone who can start in the first week (or so) of January.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
– Live in or near Los Feliz, in Los Angeles where my home and future office will be located.
– Have a flexible schedule.
– Have a good eye, and administrative skills
– Be computer and internet savvy and be very familiar with the MAC platform, web 2.0 (facebook, twitter, etsy etc.), photoshop and illustrator. (If you are not comfortable with these applications, please to not apply.)
– Have a car and valid drivers license
– Have a lot of energy
– Know how to write with proper spelling and grammar, including formatting letters and emails.
– Be VERY reliable, be fun, be a person of integrity
– Be a self-starter, who can launch into projects with little direction and oversight.
– Light office work, including entering receipts, filing, emailing, phone stuff
– Help with creative image brainstorming, trend, font and color research
– Helping on site with clients during photo-shoots, window design, etc.
– Keep in contact with printers, placing orders
– Help with the new crafty/design book (just at the beginning stages)
– Maintain and help grow the ‘inspiration’ and image binders.
– Help maintain the blog and other social networking stuff
– Run occasional errands. (post office, kinkos, sometimes more fun things like flea markets)
HOW TO APPLY
Please check out my website before applying for this internship. I want whoever gets this internship to absolutely love it, so I want to make sure that we are a good fit, both style and personality wise. http://www.justfordesign.com
Please e-mail resume, cover letter, and any applicable work samples to the attention of
Justina at justforconnection (at) gmail.com