One of the most neglected aspects home decor, today’s post focuses on the olfactory sense. Smells add tremendously to ambiance–and therefor to the whole mood and feeling of your home.
Here are my favorites of all time:
1. Fresh Flowers. Especially in the bathrooms. I like them in jars. Jasmine and garden roses are my faves for bathroom bouquets.
2. Dr. Vranjes Aria Room Diffuser & Bamboo Reeds. The shop that made these diffusers was on the same street as the Compai Boutique that my sister and I owned in Florence, Italy. We always had one of their diffusers in our shop and they always made the tiny, packed boutique smell amazingly fresh. My favorite fragrance, after trying all of them, was Aria.
3. These Incense matches sare a must-have in every bathroom if you ask me. Keep ’em in a little glass dish or ash tray near the shitter. Guests will be grateful.
4. Lavender Sachet for ones most intimate drawers is a classic that remains a favorite for me.
5. Keep Rosemary in jam jars, along with fresh basil, sage, fresh lavender and oregano in your kitchen. Use the fresh herbs in your cooking while simultaneously making your kitchen smell fresh and inviting. They look really pretty, too.
6. I love Sakura (Cherry Blossom) incense Cones. The smell can be a little intense so I like to burn it next to an open window. The smell immediately transports you to an foreign location–so use it on staycations.
7. I love anything Gerdenia. The Diptyque one is my fave. I know, I’m a fancy lady :P
8. Another favorite from my Florentine sojourn, this Orange Blossom Water from Santa Maria Novella is remarkable on linens and towels.
9. Nag Champa Incense is an old-time favorite. Having grown up in Berkeley, this is a nostalgic smell for me that reminds me of my childhood. Quintessentially ‘hippie’ and always boho fresh–One should always have a few sticks of Nag Champa Lying around.
10. I use Real Rose Petal Rose Water on everything–my hair, my face, towels and sheets. Sometimes I even put it on fruit. You can get it at your local health-food store.
What are some of your favorite scents? How do you like each of the rooms in your house to smell?
Oh wow, me and my friend used to burn Nag Champa all the time when we were both single and used to drink 100 beers and play rock music. The olden days… Love your pretty blog, great post!
Nannie Inez, good living says
Once again, you are totally right! When I walk into a home or a store that smells lovely, it feels like complete luxury. I haven’t been giving this much attention lately and I’m inspired to start again. Never heard of incense matches, but that’s a great idea and cute accessory in the bathroom. I LOVE Santa Maria Novella Orange Blossom water. Visiting that apothecary is like stepping into another time and I will forever be in love with their products. Ooh, and Rosewater… good call. Smells lovely, good for the skin and great carrier for other essential oils.
Igor Josifovic says
Currently, one little hyacinth does its deed – my little rooftop apartment smells wonderful!! And I love fresh flowers, herbs and Diptyque!!
Jennifer Young says
I love this roundup, Justina! Those incense matches are rad. Love keeping fresh herbs around the kitchen too!
Will @ Bright.Bazaar says
As I type I have Anthro’s Sweet Olive Blossom candle burning – divine. Bought a lemongrass candle from Canvas in NYC last week, too!
Justina Blakeney says
oooo yes Will–Lemongrass is another favorite smell of mine too–good thinking.
grace & stella says
i love nag champa! and india temple those two are my favorite for incense. i have a hard time finding room sprays that dont make me sneeze. and rose essential oil in a little bit of jojoba oil is amazing. or the smell of fresh cut grass through an open window in the spring. if it would ever stop raining here in Portland! haha! wishful thinking.
Lil Muse Lily says
i love burning just a simple bundle of sage
Justina Blakeney says
Oh yes! I love Sage too! I always burn it in my garden!
I’ve been trying to incorporate scent into my calming and getting ready for bed routine. A pretty hand lotion for me does the trick, right before getting into bed to read or cuddle, Olivina’s honeysuckle rose is my fav right now. Ms Meyer’s geranium soap in the kitchen makes me so happy, and the rose petal rose water you showed is always on my desk at work, I use it to spritz away the mid day slump or refresh me whenever things get a little too stressful.
Justina Blakeney says
good call in incorporating scent into the going-to-bed-routine. I’m gonna start to do that too.
another feather says
I use rose water on everything as well! my face and body everyday, and spritz it around the house or on the sheets every now and then too! (Also love their lavender flower water!)
Great roundup! These look wonderful.