When I think of tea parties, images of floral porcelain tea cups come to mind. I think of everything from Alice and Wonderland to the Queen of England. But when I think of tea I think of quieter moments, relaxation, calming energies and wellness. So when Traditional Medicinals, one of my all-time favorite tea companies, approached me for a partnership, I thought it would be amazing to redefine the tea party. Floral porcelain is cool and all, but what about hosting an all-natural, modern tea party as a way to rejuvenate, detox, and hang with friends in a totally soothing environment?
So invite all your mama friends, your nursing friends, your mama-to-be-friends, or your friends that just enjoy chilling out for a party where the drinks promote wellness and support relaxation. Here are some ideas for your modern, natural tea party…
1. Use tea-inspired botanicals: I picked floral accents that matched the teas — lavender, chamomile and ginger.
2. Create visual balance: I layered on two table cloths to create an almost yin/yang effect on the round table.
3.) Use wood, clay and glass: I mixed differed materials of tumbler-style cups to get an earthy, collected look to the tabletop.
4. Create a tea-bar: I created a tea bar with all the fixin’s again using mainly wood and ceramic pieces to display the teas.
6. Include healthy snacks: Instead of cakes and cookies, I opted for plums with goat cheese, lavender and honey and sweet mochi desserts to accompany the teas.
7. Create levels: Tiered platters help make the tea party look fun and inviting. Create different levels on your tea bar and tabletop by stacking wooden platters and bowls to create displays with varying heights.
8. Don’t forget the bling. This is, after all still a party and we want it to feel fancy! Elevate the tea party by adding a little bit of sparkle with gold flatware.
9. Think about color palettes: I went with pastels and yellow accents (with the lemon and chamomile). Think about the color palette of your party beforehand to create a visually pleasing effect.
Now go bliss out already!
*Photography by Dabito, Recipes by Danae Horst, Styling and Creative Direction by Justina Blakeney
*This tea party was created in Partnership with Traditional Medicinals. All ideas and opinions are my own.